ALLERGIC reactions due to the ingestion of various foods are a well-known occurrence.1 They can be manifested by rhinitis, bronchial asthma, dermatitis, urticaria, gastrointestinal complaints, migraine, and other symptoms.2 True anaphylactic-like reactions related to food intake are rarely encountered, but are known to occur. The following case report describes an immediate systemic shock reaction which occurred following the ingestion of mango. A survey of the literature failed to reveal any report of such reaction due to the ingestion of mango.
Report of a Case
A 32-year-old Negro man was first seen in the emergency room of the Jewish Hospital of Brooklyn on Aug 2, 1964, with complaints of itching and tearing of the eyes, swelling of the eyelids, itching of the roof of the mouth, profuse sweating, and tightness of the chest with noisy breathing. The patient stated that he had eaten two slices of peeled mango 30