Chicago, Ill., Jan. 15, 1898.
To the Editor:
—The case reported by Dr. Tufts of Sioux Falls, in which death was caused by the sudden plugging of the bronchi with a quid of chewing tobacco, recalls a less tragic case in my own experience.A number of years ago I had a paper-hanger at work for me, who was using as a stage to reach the ceiling he was decorating, the top of a ten foot partition. Busy at his work with his head thrown back as he looked directly above, he failed to notice that the board on which he was sitting was insecurely placed.I had been watching the man, but had gone perhaps seventy-five feet away, when I heard a mighty crash, but no outcry. Calling out and receiving no reply, I hastened to the spot to find my man perfectly livid and completely unconscious. My first