The two-year lease by which the Journal became a tenant of No. 86 Fifth Avenue, Chicago, will terminate April 30, 1896. Although the Journal has prospered even in these troubled times of financial depression, far beyond our hopes, yet the work has been done under many difficulties and annoyances. The two changes in lessors, made it almost impossible to obtain the satisfaction of any complaint, the damages by fire and water, the breakage of machinery whereby we were many times deprived of power, the unpleasant surroundings of the hall and the utter failure of the management to perform any of their verbal promises, made a condition hard to bear with equanimity.
We have, by direction of the Trustees, concluded a lease with the owners of the Occidental Buildings, 61 Market Street, whereby we shall in a few days occupy the third floor in a new fire-proof building, now nearing completion.