Weaverville, N. C., Sept. 23, 1897.
To the Editor:
—I report this case as I have not been able to find one in which death took place so soon after taking so small a quantity of carbolic acid.Mrs. Miles, aged 28, mother of two children, youngest 5 years old, was in the third week of typhoid fever, about the sixteenth day with temperature ranging from 100 degrees in the morning to 101.4 in the afternoon, when the nurse gave her one teaspoonful of carbolic acid (red) in one-fourth glass of water.In three minutes she was unconscious, her lips and face livid, and muscles rigid.The nurse gave mustard and warm water without effect, then she was given magnesia, lime-water, sweet oil and raw eggs. In fifteen minutes she was profoundly comatose and would have died of heart failure, but was given, hypodermically, morphin and strychnia, and death took