To the Editor:
—Two painters working in the laboratories of the Harvard Medical School with an anilin black stain reported symptoms of poisoning at the end of the day. The formula for the stain which they were using was essentially that described in The Journal, Dec. 20, 1913, p. 2260. It will be remembered that when the solutions are applied and dried the surfaces are washed with hot soap-suds to bring out the black color. The surfaces on which the men were working were about 128 square feet, and it took eight hours to wash them thoroughly. During this time their hands' were continually exposed to a hot solution of soap and the chemicals.From the symptoms, it is entirely probable that they absorbed enough anilin through the skin to cause the poisoning. The men had a sudden onset of very marked general weakness, nausea, marked pallor and cyanotic lips.