try—not in France—"boulevards") and suggests that it originated from a row of tumble-down structures which had been removed in order to improve the Park. The pertinence of this allusion is in the line of illustrating the force, vigor, and homeliness of the pure speech of the Anglo-Saxon.
But the facts are different. Hyde Park in London has been reserved for practically its present purposes ever since the days of Henry VIII. and Edward VI. Even in the time of Elizabeth its acres were devoted to "herbage, pannage, and browsewood for the deer." None of less rank than a knighted gentleman could have charge of its fine oaks and gardens even as early as 1596. There is no record in its history of a row of old buildings torn down to make space for a driveway, and which survive in the "rotten" appellation of the modern Park road.
The name "Rotten