Fraenke1 and Much,1 in 1910, described an organism occurring in Hodgkin's disease. This bacterium, Gram-positive, granular, non-acid fast and sodium hypochlorid (antiformin) resistant was seen in the lymph nodes of twelve out of thirteen cases, but no satisfactory culture was obtained. Negri and Mieremet,2 in 1913, successfully cultivated this organism from two cases of the disease. They applied the name Corynebacterium granulomatis maligni to the bacillus on account of its diphtheroid nature. In the two cases studied, complement fixation was tried, but the results were negative. No methods were described in their article. In the same year Bunting and Yates3 obtained pure cultures in four out of seven cases of Hodgkin's disease and renamed the organism Corynebacterium hodgkini, which being binomial, is a more suitable name.
Billings and Rosenow4 obtained pure cultures of this diphtheroid bacillus from the glands of patients suffering from Hodgkin's disease, and