In view of the paucity of literature1 on formaldehyd poisoning, the following case seems worthy of record:
The patient, a boy of 3 years, gained possession of a bottle containing a few drops of a 40 per cent. solution of formaldehyd which he tipped to his lips as though in the act of drinking. He was immediately seized with a paroxysm oi coughing and choking, but the attack soon ceased. The child's mouth was rinsed out thoroughly with water and he was soon at play as if nothing had happened.
On the next day I was called and found the child suffering from a hoarse, laryngeal cough with accelerated and labored breathing. The pulse and temperature were normal and in every respect the child seemed to be in perfect health.
I made laryngeal application of adrenalin with temporary benefit. Inhalations of steam were advised and frequent teaspoonful