Soon after the opening of the University of Wisconsin on Oct. 1, 1908, there occurred a localized outbreak of typhoid fever which presented such unusual features that we are making a record of it, hoping that it may prove useful to those interested in this disease, and especially to those having supervision of students at centers of education.
Very near the campus is an unusually well-kept and popular boarding-house, patronized not only by students, but also by a number of the younger members of the faculty. It has been running for some six years, and no trouble has occurred there before. As in many other such places, students are employed as waiters and helpers in the pantry.
The house opened with the beginning of the scholastic year, and soon had from ninety-five to one hundred boarders, many applicants being turned away. The working force consisted of the landlady and her