Few cases of poisoning by the bite of a rattlesnake have been observed by competent investigators with means at their disposal for a careful clinical examination, and for this reason, if no other, the case herein reported is of interest, but even this data is brief compared to what might have been accomplished had we known as much of venomous poisoning at the time of the accident as we do at present. Heretofore the information at our disposal has been chiefly deductions from animal experimentation, and, while in the main correct, fails to convey the bedside picture so necessary for a perfect conception of a case. The individual who is unfortunate enough to have suffered such an accident is rarely in close proximity to a hospital or laboratory, and a study of the patient is attended with difficulties that are quite apparent.
—R. R., male white, aged 50, attendant