The Department of Health of Chicago began the registration of consumptives July, 1907. A rule was passed requiring it. At the time the number of available beds for consumptives was 325. These were for late cases. In addition the Tuberculosis Institute was maintaining a sanitarium for early cases. The capacity of that institution shortly after July was increased to twenty-six beds.
There are two tent colonies near the city. One, that of Drs. Pettit and Butterfield, was then in existence; that of the Homeopathic Medical Society was founded last year. The general hospitals were taking a few cases, generally without plain, straightforward acknowledgment of the fact, and lacking the better control which goes with candor.
The experiences of these institutions was that consumption was not being diagnosed early enough for successful handling. Occasionally a diagnosis was made when an arrest could be accomplished in less than five months. Rarely one