A student in the Canehill College, Arkansas, session of 1875-76, was making some hydrogen gas with iron filings and sulphuric acid in a glass retort. Just as the gas began to escape from the retort pipe, and while still much mixed with atmospheric air, he chanced to bring a lighted match close to the escape pipe, when an explosion took place. The retort was blown to atoms and the pieces of glass driven with great force in all directions. The young man received a severe wound in his right eye. The eye was found lacerated; a transverse cut in the cornea extending from the sclera on one side into the sclera on the opposite side. The supposition was that a flying fragment of glass had done the work by an oblique stroke and had passed on.
The eye was treated antiphlogistically, and although considerable inflammation and pain followed, in a