Author Taro Takemi is one of the most remarkable physicians of this or any other century. Consider these factors:
1. Fundamentally educated as a physician, he functioned as a research scientist in prewar and wartime Japan.
2. Selected by Emperor Hirohito, he visited Hiroshima within 24 hours after the atomic bomb blast on Aug 6, 1945, to investigate the circumstances. Because of his advice to the Emperor, Japan's involvement in the Second World War was ended.
3. After the war, when research in Japan was abolished by the unconditional surrender and subsequent occupation, he became a practicing physician/internist.
4. He served as personal physician to six postwar prime ministers of Japan.
5. He served as President of the Japan Medical Association for 25 consecutive years, retiring in 1982.
6. Now 78 years old, Dr Takemi will be a visiting professor at the Harvard School of Public Health beginning in May