A young woman ingested approximately 13 gm of an over-the-counter acetaminophen preparation and died seven days later in profound coma. Postmortem findings included massive centrilobular hepatic necrosis and renal tubular necrosis. Although hepatotoxicity secondary to acetaminophen overdose is well recognized in Britain, this entity has received little emphasis in the United States. Recognition of the potentially severe consequences is important because early treatment with sulfhydryl compounds may prevent serious liver injury.
(JAMA 236:1874-1875, 1976)