To the Editor:—
In answer to the questions of Drs. Mazzia and Dell'-Aria, the last daily digitalis maintenance dose was given 24 hours before shock treatment. The patient received ventilation with a bagvalve-mask ventilator, using room air, immediately before and immediately after shock was given. There was no period of apnea. The patient breathed spontaneously and well when he was taken to the recovery room for continued observation. There, a few minutes later, he suddenly died. Unfortunately, besides apnea and blood gas changes, our article listed several other factors which exerted strain upon the heart during convulsive therapy.