So much has been written about Oxford personalities in medicine that it is a relief to have something written on the hospital which for two centuries has been the center of Oxford clinical medicine. Not only has Dr. Robb-Smith picked up the story from where Dr. A. G. Gibson left off in 1926 in his book, The Radcliffe Infirmary, he has also happily reviewed some of the origins of medicine in Oxford University.
Some of the 20th-century stories dealt with discuss Osler's years at the Radcliffe from 1905 to 1919 and the great contribution which he made at the bedside and in the postmortem room. A considerable interest attaches to the description also of Osler's pupils there who were later to be some of the outstanding teachers when the clinical courses for credit began in 1937, and increased tremendously during World War II. The development of Lord Nuffield's interest in