A program of home care was organized in 1950 to provide the services of physician, nurse, and social worker for cancer patients who did not require hospitalization yet were too ill for treatment at the clinic. Under the direction of a physician, the program coordinated the resources of hospital, clinic, medical school, and community. This team concept has benefited all participating groups. In nine years of operation this program has achieved a plateau, with a patient load of 15 to25 patients and about 4,500 patient-days of care per year. It demonstrates that care in the home, when practical, is less expensive and more conducive to the patient's general well-being than is hospital care.