ORE than 400 medical colleges were organized in the United States during the 19th century. The state of Illinois claimed 39, of which several were diploma mills or other forms of commercial venture. Only three of the original group have continued. The reform in medical education that followed the Flexner report of 1909 was responsible for the abolition of many of this number. One medical college that has held fast to its avowed function for 101 years was founded by a high-minded and dedicated pioneer band, affiliated originally with Lind University in Chicago. The college subsequently became the Northwestern University Medical School. Its centennial is being celebrated this year.
Five of the seven physicians who planned the new school more than a century ago were active or recent members of the faculty of Rush Medical College, which had opened its doors to students 16 years earlier. Dr. Nathan Smith Davis