Twelve years ago a complete system of medical care, both preventive and curative, was established for the rural areas in Hungary. This health organization centers around the State Institute of Hygiene, the establishment of which was prompted by grants from the Rockefeller Foundation, and through this institute official control has been provided for the preventive health services and for affiliation with the Green Cross Service, which correspondsto the American plan for public health nursing. Hungary has been divided into twenty-six districts, each with its chief health officer. Only physicians who have served as local health officers for not less than five years are eligible to this appointment. In 1938 there were 190 local health officers in Hungary who prior to such appointment must serve an apprenticeship as a community or village physician and must have passed the final examinations subsequent to taking a nine months special course for health officers.