A woman, aged 65, was brought to the Lankenau Hospital, July 26, 1931, suffering from a painful swelling of the left leg of three days' duration. About two years before this she had dropped a screen on the dorsum of the left foot, and a wound resulted that healed in about one week. Soon after this an ulcer developed on the medial surface of the left ankle, which had been treated from time to time by elevation of the extremity and dressings of magnesium sulphate. The ulcer never healed and was present and active on admission. Along with the ulcer occurred swelling of both legs, for which the patient had been wearing elastic bandages. She also gave a history of varicose veins of the left leg of four or five years' standing.
July 23, three days before admission, she was awakened at night with severe pain in the left foot