In recent years a steady trend toward a return of preventive medical practice to the family physician and the family dentist has become apparent. Among the leaders in this trend has been the W. K. Kellogg Foundation of Battle Creek, Mich. A summary of the reports of the Michigan Community Health Project1 involving seven counties in Michigan, namely Allegan, Barry, Branch, Calhoun, Eaton, Hillsdale and Van Buren, has just been issued. This community health project was begun in 1931, when approximately $12,000 in grants was made to a single community; in 1937-1938 the grants had grown to $617,211. In cooperation with the county boards, the county medical societies, the dental organizations and citizens' groups, the foundation has assisted in providing community health organization, postgraduate education, camps, library facilities and aid to hospitals, schools, youth organizations, recreation and libraries.
The community health organizations are typical county health units with full