(From Our Regular Correspendent)Aug. 21, 1937.
The Danger of the Domestic Use of Gasoline
Cases are recorded from time to time of the burning to death of persons using gasoline for cleaning garments. The victims are quite unaware of any danger and may be at a distance from any fire or flame. The accident occurs in this way: Gasoline vapor, being much heavier than air, falls in a still atmosphere and will be drawn by a draft toward a fire. A flash back to the cleaning receptacle then occurs, with the inevitable fire and upsetting of the burning liquid over the clothes of the operator. Fire also may be started by static electricity caused by rubbing garments, especially silks, in the cleaning process. In one case a woman was burned to death while cleaning a garment in a garden and the fire could not be traced to any