In planning new children's hospitals we have all tried to replace the old large general ward by small rooms accommodating not more than from one to three children. Glass partitions are generally used between cubicles, so that the children may be easily watched by the centrally located nurse.
In 1928 Pirquet1 described a new kind of isolation bed for new-born babies and young infants. At first Pirquet constructed a single bed separated from the ward by high glass walls instead of the usual railing. This glass wall could be lifted on one side like a window. Such a single isolated bed functioned very satisfactorily, but it was too expensive. Pirquet later modified his idea and built a combined unit of six small beds separated from one another by high glass walls. Each of these bed cubicles could be opened by lifting the "window" (one of the walls) along its