In October 1929 Dr. Robert H. Akin of the Department of Urology of the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine brought to us a smear of prostatic secretion stained with methylene blue. The patient from whom the slide was taken called on the doctor complaining of burning on urination and a urethral discharge, although at the time no discharge was evident. There was no history of Neisseria gonorrhoeae infection for the previous three months. Microscopic examination of the stained slide showed numerous clumped pus cells and a lancet shaped diplococcus with a suggestion of a capsule. Attempts to cultivate this organism at that time were unsuccessful. During the following six years we noticed the same organism in various urethral and prostatic smears and in urinary specimens brought to us for examination.
July 1, 1935, funds were made available by legislative appropriation to permit the Department of Bacteriology to carry on