With the recent introduction of carbon dioxide snow, better known as "dry ice," for general commercial use and the ease with which it can be obtained by irresponsible persons there have come grave dangers of accidental misapplication. Following the occurrence of the case to be reported, inquiry among the children in the neighborhood revealed that one of their diversions is to obtain the "ice" at a candy store or from a traveling vender with a purchase of ice cream and to place a small piece in the mouth and blow off "steam." Occasional cases of small burns of the mouth have apparently not sufficed to put an end to this practice.
A review of the literature during the past ten years shows this to be the first case of its kind to be reported.
REPORT OF CASE
V. K., a boy, aged 7 years, was admitted to the laryngologic