The production and handling of human milk by the Children's Welfare Federation of New York was begun, Oct. 6, 1921. From that date to May 1, 1926, 5,296 quarts represents the total amount that has been produced and distributed by this agency. For the first three years only one station was in existence, but since then three stations in different sections of the city have carried on the work.1 The milk is collected only in these stations and none is now accepted unless it is expressed in the station under the eye of the matron in attendance.
The women sit in screened booths and they are thus visible only to the matron who watches and advises during the progress of the milking. The duties of the matron consist in instructing and supervising the mothers, sterilizing the bottles, keeping records, and filling the orders. Milk is collected at the stations