On May 26 the President attached his signature to the act establishing the National Institute of Health. This bill, sponsored by Senator Joseph E. Ransdell, was approved by the American Medical Association and actively supported by practically every organization devoted to the advancement of human welfare. In accordance with the act, the Hygienic Laboratory of the Public Health Service, with its long record of accomplishments, is merged into a new institution with well nigh unlimited opportunities for scientific research.
Originally attached to the marine hospital in New York as a small clinical office, the Hygienic Laboratory was founded in 1887, when the world heard with astonishment of the menace of germs as agents of disease. The laboratory passed under a variety of names until 1901, when Congress gave it a place in governmental nomenclature by appropriating a small sum for an experimental building and directing that the institution should "investigate