The case of pneumonia presented here, following the accidental aspiration of gasoline into the lungs, is unique in that a similar record has not been found in the literature.
REPORT OF CASE
A boy, aged 8 years, inserted a rubber tube into the gasoline tank of an automobile, Aug. 30, 1929, and sucked gasoline into it. While the tube was still in his mouth, a playmate blew into the free end, forcing gasoline into the boy's mouth. He could not get his breath and began to choke. The parents said that he turned blue and had a severe strangling spell. A considerable quantity of gasoline must have entered his mouth, as it was spattered over his face and clothing. Some of it must have been swallowed. He recovered, weak and exhausted, from the immediate effect, but within an hour became unconscious.I first saw him at this time. The respiratory