London, Oct. 2, 1919.
Opening of the Medical Schools
The first opening of the session at the medical schools after the war, which is about to take place, marks a new epoch in medical education in this country—the inauguration of research clinics in the London hospitals. In previous letters this innovation has been described at the London Hospital (The Journal, April 12, 1919, p. 1091) and at Guy's Hospital (September 13, p. 849). At University College Hospital, Dr. T. R. Elliott has been appointed director of the medical clinic, and at St. Thomas', Sir Cuthbert Wallace. At St. Bartholomew's Hospital, Sir Archibald Garrod will preside over the medical, and Mr. G. E. Gaske over the surgical research departments. At Charing Cross Hospital, an institute of pathology for teaching and research has been established. It will have a staff of five medical teachers and investigators, of whom the principal will be