The Institute of Marine Biology
The Istituto italo-germanico di biologia marina was recently dedicated at Rovigno, Istria. The origin of the institute dates back to a zoological station established at Rovigno by Germany in 1891, and which, after the war, was turned over to the Comitato talassografico italiano. A recent agreement entered into by the governments of Italy and Germany provides that the institute shall be regarded as the joint property of the two countries, which will share equally the current expense of its administration and will have an equal number of persons on its staff. Professor Sella has been appointed codirector for Italy and Professor Stener for Germany. The institute has important collections of fish, mollusks and crustaceans, and there are rare specimens of Gambusia, starfish and polyps. Researches have been made on ocean depths, ocean currents and water pressure at various ocean depths.
Meetings of Societies