Before European hostilities, the United States was so dependent on Germany for synthetic drugs that the dependence was considered a necessity; this was strikingly manifested by the precipitous rise in prices immediately after the embargo was declared against Germany. Since then the shortage of German-made synthetics has caused two important results: 1. The physician can do without most of the German drugs, because the pre-war demand had been stimulated artificially. 2. Those few synthetics, which were in great need, are being rapidly replaced by the American-made drugs.1 In connection with the second result, the Chemical Laboratory of the American Medical Association has endeavored to contribute its services.
In September, 1917, it was announced2 that the A. M. A. Chemical Laboratory would make studies of American-made synthetics. Just prior to this announcement, the National Research Council established a committee on synthetic drugs3 "to facilitate the manufacture of synthetic